Saturday, December 28, 2013

Nailed It!

Lately I have become fascinated by the nail art on Pinterest. Wall art is great. Who wouldn't want to have an original masterpiece hanging where all who enter your home can admire its beauty? Well nail art is similar-It's like having ten tiny canvases on your hands for people to ooh and ah over any time you whip out your credit card or shake a hand. Even better than telling your house guests, "yes, it's a Picasso," is telling the cashier at the grocery store, "yep! I totally painted them myself!" At least in my mind it would be better. I neither own a masterpiece nor the ability to create stunning nail art.
My talented cousin posts her amazing creations like these
on her blog http://thenailinator.blogspot.com/, inspiring me to dress up my own blah fingertips. The problem with all the pics I see online is that I can't measure up! The clear coat smudges the design, and I have nicks before the polish ever dries. Does it ever dry?? No offense, Rach, but do you sit perfectly still all day long with your fingers spread so as not to damage your artwork? Or do you snap the pic as soon as you have them painted before the kids have a chance to need your attention? How long do they look like the photo?WHAT'S THE SECRET??? Also, I am not ambidextrous, so my right hand can never look presentable because I have to paint it with my left.
Here is another stunner The Nailinator created. I watched a tutorial on painting snowflakes and sort of came close this time although I don't want my hands to have to be too close to hers for fear mine would just shrivel up and fall off out of embarrassment: 
 I'm basically a walking disaster when it comes to nail polish, and I think whoever posted this on Pinterest might be my soul mate:
Frankly, I have a long history of nail failures. I bought a pen to create cool designs. Nope. It just bled all over my hand and the bathroom counter. Another time I was tapping a bottle of sparkly polish against my hand to mix it, and the neck broke off. Glass and silver glitter polish exploded all over the bathroom. The whole family was high on the fumes of nail polish remover for a week!
You may be wondering why I keep going to the trouble when I'm destined to make a mess and look silly. Well here goes, my name is Stephanie, and I'm a nail biter. It's true! I bite those suckers to bloody nubs sometimes, but if they are painted, I'm less likely to chomp down. Because I don't want to mess up the polish? No, because I don't want to walk around with red or blue paint chips stuck in my teeth!
I wonder if nail polish would be a biting deterrent for the Great Dane puppy we just got. I keep having to jump up and rescue various items from her teeth. I'd coat the entire interior of the house in "Cinne-man of My Dreams" (thank you OPI for your fun polish names) if it would save the furniture and kids' toys from being chewed up.
Anyway! I've forgotten what I was really going to say, and I have started nibbling on my pinky as I sit here trying to think. That means it's time to pick up the giant pup and go paint something! 

No comments:

Post a Comment