Monday, November 21, 2011

I'm Changing My Name to Superwoman

You know the saying "that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger?" Yeah well, I am getting some serious muscles! Every day I do things that are unpleasant and difficult. Today it has been catching up on laundry and a sewing project that I refuse to let kick my butt. Friday it was clean up vomit. Saturday it was...well I guess Saturday was ok. Yesterday it was stand in front of a large group of teens and adults and talk about a painful piece of my past. I'd rather have cleaned vomit again.
The truth is, I have a very blessed life. I always have, but there were some years that were marked by heartache and some things that I really don't like to remember. My prayer is that in talking openly about what I overcame, someone who hears it will be encouraged to persevere in their own circumstances. Maybe one of those kids are dealing with their own painful situation and can look at me and think, "Huh, if that lady went through all of her stuff and moved on to have a good life in a great pair of heels [well that's what I'd be thinking], then surely I can hang on long enough to see what God has waiting for me."
If we aren't changed for the better by the bad stuff we walk through, and if we can't help other people because of it, then we just let the bad stuff engulf us. I was reluctant to speak yesterday because I was afraid people would be shocked or pity me. I also would rather focus on the fun things in my present than the ugly things in my past. However, when I felt compelled to share some facts with a smaller group who in turn asked me to speak in greater detail to the large group, I knew God was showing me a way to use my pain to glorify Him and help others. That alone is better healing than years of therapy (which I didn't have) could have ever been!
I encourage anyone reading this to see blessing in your pain. Find a way to help someone else and focus on how God moves you out of the dark times and back into His glorious light! When you feel weakened by your circumstance, remember that God will make you strong again. He will make something good out of it if you let Him. Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and change so many things, but it's wasteful to regret. I am strong today because of the struggles I overcame, and I will pass that strength on to my kids and others through my testimony of faith and God's protection and mercy in my life. It's good to be strong!
And now that I've given myself a mental pep talk, I am ready to show my sewing machine who's boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment