Monday, August 24, 2015

So this just happened...

School started today, and we made it out the door, dressed, fed, and with all the necessary items with time to spare. That's one day out of the next 179 days that I can reflect on as a good mom day! I'm going to need it to carry me through all the rest that are more like yesterday.

Two days ago my seven year old was really adorable and sweet. He told me I was the most beautiful woman in the world (and hey, who am I to argue with his genius? Never mind that he refuses to wear his glasses, but whatever!). He also told me chocolate was sweet like me.  It's been years since I've been talked to like that. Thirty-@# to be exact, which is coincidentally how old I am. So I ate it up! I thought about buying him a pony. I'm glad I held off because then this happened...

Yesterday the oldest third of the King babies was aggravating the crud out of the other two. The doorbell rang. I kind of figured it was the big kid trying to pull something, but I played along. I don't know why. Sometimes I lack the necessary with-it-ness that moms must have at all times. I opened the door to an empty porch, so I shut it and waited. I knew he'd ring the bell again, so I planned to throw open the door and startle him before he could hide again. He did, and I did. Sort of. I flung open the door to my kid wearing a sheet and a stupid-scary Halloween mask. I screamed, slammed the door, and locked the monster outside.

That sweet little boy who loved his mama yesterday came up behind me with a plastic sword saying, "you're a wimp, mom. Scardy cat."  Yeah, he's been demoted from the sweet one to the grounded from technology one. He opened the door and whacked is brother square in the rubber face. A good mom would have stopped that right away, but this mom just had the pee scared out of her.

Kid 1 chased kid 3 up the stairs. Kid 3 hid in his closet (who's the scardy cat now?!) and climbed onto the clothes bar. I didn't even ask why. The end result is that the little end piece that holds the bar in place broke, and The entire wardrobe crashed in a heap. The kid is fine, but when you see him in his first day of school pics looking like he pulled a wadded shirt out of the dirty clothes, it's because there was a monster at the door, and the clean hanging clothes became a casualty of war.

Happy fall semester, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment