Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Are you not supposed to wash your cell phone?

If smart phones are so smart, then why don't they hold their breath under water? I had a Samsung flip phone not so long ago that survived an entire washing machine cycle in the pocket of my jeans, and after a day of drying out, it worked great. I was torn between being bummed because I was kind of hoping for a new phone and being relieved because if I killed the lesser phone, then I would never be able to convince my husband to invest in something more expensive for me to destroy.
But I'm thinking if that phone could manage the washer, then the iphone ought to be able to withstand a quick dip in the pool while its owner fishes out a child who has fallen in. True story that happened to a friend. Glad he chose the kid over the phone! And in case the hubby reads this, no, I didn't immerse my phone. Had a close call with the bath tub last night, but it was just sprinkled. Does that mean it's a Methodist?
There has to be something phone manufacturers could do to protect their product better from water. After all, you can buy all sorts of shock-absorbing covers to protect it from falls, a fact I'm relieved to note. I've had a few split second moments in between the feeling of my phone slipping out of my grasp and the sound of it hitting the tile where in my mind I see shattered pieces of my hot pink and black iphone exploding everywhere only to open my eyes and find it undamaged and in one piece. Today, it fell out of my bag, and I didn't know it until I heard the crash and saw three pieces on the ground. Breath, Honey. One was the unbroken phone, and the other two were the halves of the cover.
I think it's all a conspiracy. The companies who make the covers are making a killing. So are the phone manufacturers because as they make flimsy, water-fearing phones, people must replace them frequently. cha-ching! Then to protect their replacements, owners buy better, more expensive covers. It's a win-win for them.
Moral of the story: if you listen to your ipod in the bath, and if you leave it on the side, TAKE OUT EAR BUDS BEFORE STANDING UP.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I washed our cordless phone about a year ago. :/ it was sad. I had left it on the bed by the pillows and later took the sheets off to wash. I'm glad your phone survived the drop test. I'm always scared I'll drop my iPod touch and shatter the screen but so far so good. I agree though. Something must be done.

    ReplyDelete