Monday, June 21, 2010

Arizona stinks!

I have always loved going to Phoenix-even in the heat of the summer, and Saturday I got to see Salt River Canyon for the first (and maybe only) time. my mom says I've been over that road before, but I was in the floorboard of the car trying not to be sick, so I didn't see anything. Two hours of winding treacherously around a canyon is an adrenaline rush not unlike jumping out of an airplane strapped to a guy wearing your only chute. I had white knuckles as all 10 fingers wrapped around the steering wheel, and I only diverted my gaze long enough to pull over once when my middle child was about the throw up. After every sharp curve, i would start to sigh with relief until I saw the series of hairpin turns coming up on the GPS. Glad we made it through that.
Also glad we made it through being pulled over TWICE in the great state of Stupid! The first time I was obeying the law carefully in a podunk town just passed the Salt River Canyon when the police car began tailgating me and finally stopped me. For what you ask? SO DID I! He just decided to run my plates and verify my license and registration. Didn't need a reason. I was after all in his town. They apparently do that there. I guess I look like an illegal alien or something.
The second time I got stopped, I was barely speeding. I had my cruise control set at the speed limit, but then there was a cluster of 18 wheelers, and I sped up a little to get past it.There were several other cars that flew past me (my brother-in-law included) when the highway patrol picked me out of the crowd to pull over. No ticket, but he wanted me to take off my sunglasses so he could see my eyes and roll down the windows so he could count the kids and see that they were in proper car seats. So weird! Needless to say, it left a bitter taste in my mouth, and I was relieved to cross the state line into California. At least in Texas when I've gotten stopped, it's been for legit reasons...just speeding in case you're wondering.

1 comment:

  1. Well at least the stupid stops didn't end in ridiculous tickets!!

    ReplyDelete